Workshop developer and instructor Beth Harrison, founder of Peninsula College Advising, has been a writing coach and teacher for over 30 years.
Offering summer writing workshops for rising seniors since 2013, Beth helps students develop powerful personal statements and turns an arduous process into a rewarding one. Workshop sessions break the writing process into easy, manageable steps, provide the support to help students create top-notch essays, and prevent deadline stress for students and parents.
• Choose a session to fit your schedule; six total hours of group instruction and office hours and two hours of a group critique session.
• Topics covered are: brainstorming topics, personal statement prompts and sample essays, peer evaluation of essay drafts, strategies for writing supplemental essays, tips for time management, and professional evaluation and editing of essays by Beth.
• Comprehensive handout with essay writing tips and sample essays provided.
• Includes two one-hour individual consultations to develop, revise, edit and polish one 500-650 word personal statement and up to 4 shorter essays (UC PIQs or other). Two follow-up email consultations also included.
• Class size is limited for small group interaction.
• Fee is $650.
• Personal Statement Boot Camp Dates 2021:
• Workshop #1: June 7, 8, 9, 11 - 1-3 pm
• Workshop #2: July 12, 13, 14, 15 - 7-9 pm
• Workshop #3: August 2, 3, 4, 6 - 1:00 – 3:00 pm
All 2021 workshops will be online via Zoom. The format is adapted to maximize online learning. Beth will be available for online office hours during the workshop session. Students will schedule additional one-on-one meetings with Beth after the workshop finishes either via Zoom or in person depending on current pandemic restrictions.
Contact us for detailed workshop syllabus and/or scholarship information for financial need.